The F word. Uggh. We know it's painful. We would love nothing more than to offer a magic formula so the ladies of the world could fit clothing with some shred of reliability. In the absence of any golden rule, however, we CAN tell you how fit works for our Dovetail pant products.
First, please see our Size Guide page:
- The left column is Dovetail Workwear sizing and correlates with a standard American female size grade.
- The right column is a general size guide for additional comparison.
- The middle column was our former size guide but is no longer used by Dovetail.
- Our sizing system is not based on vanity sizing; our pants' sizing is a true reflection of a woman’s measurements and proportions.
- Kate, our founder, is our fit model. She's 5'7" tall and has a 27” waist and a 38” hip. Her inseam is 30”. She weighs 132 pounds.
- She wears a size 6 in the Maven Slim Black Denim and a size 4 in the Maven Slim Power Stretch Denim. She sizes down on the Maven Slim Power Stretch Denim because of its flexible nature and construction.
- We do not put specific body measurements on our Dovetail size chart because, honestly, we have found that they confuse people more and the pants sizing can be different depending on which fabric you choose (see bullet above).
- When you try on your Dovetail Workwear pants in any style for the first time, there should be no gapping in the back of the waistband nor extra fabric around/below the crotch. They should fit like they just came out of a hot dryer and feel fitted in the waist and hips. When sized right, the fabric will conform to your body over time, but not bag out like some fashion stretch jeans do.
- Because Dovetail Workwear denim and other fabrics are premium, they do not lose shape over time. Our stretch fabrics mold to the body due to very high shape memory (proven through lab testing).
- If you need help, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We love advising on appropriate sizes and fabrics and are here for you!
Where can I try on Dovetail products?
Currently, we do fittings by appointment at our Portland office showroom near the Pearl. Email us so we can get connected: email@example.com. For those beyond Portland, we will be in select retail locations by Fall18/Spring19. Total global domination by 2020!
How do other Dovetail products fit?
Knit Tops, Hoodies, Tshirts—all of our shirt patterns are intentionally cut and sized with the feminine form in mind. We ensure that your mid-section is well covered even while bending and moving.
Reversible Beanie—a moderate fit accommodating most head sizes, with intentionally unisex sizing and styling. (We just have to add that the feel of the Merino wool is DREAMY. And no itchiness!)
Double-pronged Belts—these come in 2 sizes and are meant to accommodate varied (or changing:) waistlines due to their continuous hole pattern. Also unisex.
Gloves--Designed with a woman's hand in mind, big or small. Comes in sizes XS-L. With 4-way stretch.
Kneepads--One size only. Designed for perfect fit inside our Britt Utility, Day Construct, and Freshley Overall pants. Will fit in the Maven pant in Size 6 and larger.
What if you discover that your size is out of stock?
We sincerely apologize. It's exciting that our products sell so quickly, but we want every woman to get what she wants!!
If your size is out, please consider ordering your pant through our back-order option which you'll see on each of our product pages if something is sold out. Your email address will be added to our back-order list, and you will be notified first when more products become available again.
When will Dovetail Workwear offer extended pant sizes? We do now!
All of our pant products run from size 000-18 in four inseams: 28", 30", 32", & 34". We are very excited to announce that we now have plus sizing available up to size 24 in our Maven and Day Construct pants.
What are your sourcing and manufacturing practices and where are your clothes sewn?
Dovetail Workwear values strong, sustainable relationships with our manufacturers. We're sourcing denim from Cone Denim Oeko-Tex certified facilities. We sew our jeans in Merida, Mexico. Our denim sewing factory was intentionally chosen for its state-of-the-art water treatment facility as well as the fact that it is a gold-standard facility regarding labor, environmental, and community practices. It is run by a female-led management team. All of our supply and manufacturing partners have been selected with exacting standards for artisan craftsmanship and quality, ethical practices
What is Dovetail Workwear's exchange and return policy?
Please see our Exchanges & Returns Policy page.
What is your shipping policy?
Our shipping rates are:
|Weight||Price||Typical Shipment for Weight|
|1-3lb||$7.95||(pair of pants or overalls)|
|3+||$11.95||(multiple pairs of pants)|
- Exchanges – free shipping both ways
- Returns – shipping deducted out of refund
- Shipping times are usually pretty quick—3-5 days.
Do you ship internationally?
Yes! We are happy to ship internationally via USPS. Taxes and duties are the responsibility of the recipient. Dovetail currently ships to: Canada, Great Britain, Germany, France, Australia & New Zealand. Rates and times are location specific, depending address and weight. If your country is not listed and you are interested in ordering from us, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can enable shipping to your location.
How do I wash my indigo Dovetail Workwear products?
Please note that for environmental reasons, we choose not to set our dyes with chemicals or repeat wash our fabrics (they just have one wash during manufacturing to avoid shrinkage issues).
If you are a dry waller or work around dry wall, we have had people report that they indigo dye can rub off within the first few weeks or months. The more you wash them, the less this is a problem, but please be careful in these situations as the indigo may transfer.
Do you have things you want to tell us?
Do you want to suggest new ideas, key features, your hopes and dreams? Our ears are always on and we are listening. Email us your thoughts at email@example.com And if you want to know the latest updates in terms of product development and other interesting tidbits, please subscribe on our website to receive our bi-monthly subscriber newsletter. This comes with lots of perks, fun news, great content and insider deals – try us!